Farewell to the Ghost GumsMelbourne, Fall 2009
Ways that culture shock is destroying me:
1. The crosswalk signs are abnormally large.
2. I have accidentally flipped on the windshield wipers rather than the blinkers approximately 13 times.
3. My morning Oregon Chai, which I drank all the time before I went to Australia, tasted entirely foreign to me today because I grew accustomed to the magical chai in Melbourne.
4. The showerhead is lower.
5. My toilet only has one flush option.
6. In a restaurant, when I thank the waiter, s/he says “You’re welcome” rather than “That’s alright” or “No worries” or “Ta.” So trippy.
7. No more accents. As a result, I am unwhole inside.
8. Birds here are black. Just…black.
Needless to say, readjusting to the culture in which I’ve grown up is one of the most difficult experiences of my life to date. I miss Melbourne, and I’ve only been home for 3 days.
You May also like: